Friday, November 12, 2010

A Room of One's Own

What do women need in life to be successful and happy? According to Woolf, money and a room of one’s own are vital to this goal. Chances are that on your own you would have come up with money but would you have ever considered a room of your own? I didn’t, at least not before reading this book. How would I function without a room of my own? I couldn’t. My room is where I go to have a place to think, study, write; it’s where I have me time. I am able to escape everyone and everything else even if only for a little while. It helps me keep my sanity and enables me to be creative. Having a room of your own also gives you a sense of pride. That place is yours to do with as you please – no one else has any say in what goes on in there; you hold all the power.

Having your own space is liberating, Woolf certainly thought so. She took this idea so far that not only did she have her own little study to work in; it wasn’t even accessible through the rest of the house. You had to make an effort to leave the main house to get to her room. It was her domain in which she could act however she pleased. I love this idea. I am now a firm believer that everyone, not just women, needs this sort of space. Somewhere to go and think or just spend time alone doing what you love. It doesn’t have to be an actual room. It could be a track somewhere that you like to run, a tree you enjoy reading in, a garden to tend; anything that makes you happy and gives you a break from the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment