Monday, August 23, 2010

of Woolves and Horses


I have come to realize just how out of the academic loop I was after reading over the Virginia Woolf conference schedules.  It was amazing to see that so many people are actively involved in this Woolf community, how fun and beneficial it must be to offer up your hard earned research for the research of others!  A trend I noted involved an individual finding their own specific interest under the topic of the year and then sharing that interest with everyone else; it is fascinating that so many different topics could be pulled together into a cohesive whole.  Two titles that seemed to pop up regularly were Orlando and Mrs. Dalloway.  Having already read Mrs. Dalloway, this has made me eager to check out Orlando as well – if so many people can find new things to say about it then there must be a lot to be gained by reading it. 
Another book I am also now interested in reading is Jacob’s Room because of the paper entitled “Virginia Woolf and Horses: Jacob’s Unnatural Death in Jacob’s Room” by Keri Barber from the University of California.  I have always been a very avid horse enthusiast so I am excited by the idea of combining my love for reading with my love for horses.   It reminds me of a paper I wrote during high school about the horse imagery in Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights.  It would be a treat to read this paper and observe how others incorporate their horse sense into their love for Virginia Woolf.        
After exploring the ideas born from Woolf’s writings, I am now more excited than ever to take this class.  Already “A Sketch of the Past” has left me wanting to know more about this author and how her own life has influenced the lives of her characters…

No comments:

Post a Comment